Rate Post Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

    (Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Author Message
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Canada Guide
New Contributor
Username: Canada

Post Number: 29
Registered: 4-2004

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 5:49 pm:   


WestJet Airlines
Tel: 403 250-583Toll Free: 1-888-WestJet
Fax: 403 571-5367
Web: http://c0dsp.westjet.com/internet/sky/
Address: 35 McTavish Place NE
Calgary AB T2E 7J7
WestJet offers low cost, no frills air travel to many major cities throughout British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and New Brunswick. WestJet has competitive fares and offers a relaxed, fun approach to air travel.

Via Rail
Tel: 514 989-2626
Address: Suite 500
3 Place Val-Marie Montréal QC H3B 2C9
Via Rail is Canada's Rail network. It operates transcontinental service from Montréal to Vancouver and Montréal to Halifax, as well as fast commuter, business and leisure service within the Quebéc City-Windsor corridor. There is also service to remote locations in Ontario, Québec, Manitoba and British Columbia. In conjunctions with major bus companies Via Rail offers bus connections from many centres that do not have rail service, to the nearest point on the Via network.

VIA Rail
298 Walker Road
Windsor, ON N8Y 2M9
Telephone: (519) 256-5511
Web Site: http://www.viarail.ca/
or toll-free 1-800-361-1235 (Canada)
1-800-561-3949 (US)
(Schedules, fares, agent)
Windsor's VIA Rail station is a five-minute drive from the border, just off of Riverside Drive East. VIA provides direct service from Windsor to Toronto, stopping at points between and connecting to points east and west from Toronto. VIA tickets can be obtained directly by calling them, or from your travel agent.

Acadian, Nova Charter
Regularly scheduled service in Atlantic Canada with connections to the rest of Canada and the United States.
Tel: 506 859-5122
Toll Free: 1-800-688-5353 (North America)
Fax: 506 859-5106
Address: 100 Midland Dr Dieppe NB E1A 6X4
Transit Info: 1-800-567-5151

Greyhound Canada
Long-distance bus service across Canada from British Columbia in the west to Montréal in Québec. Inter-provincial services are also available. Connections to Greyhound service in the U.S.A. Buses are modern with air-conditioning and restrooms. Passes are available for unlimited travel across the country for specific time periods.
Toll Free: 1-800-661-TRIP
Address: Corporate Head Office
877 Greyhound Way SW Calgary AB T3C 3V8

A growing number of cruise lines visit Halifax as part of the New Atlantic Frontier itinerary. There are a number of ferry links to Nova Scotia:

Bay Ferries Ltd.:
Bar Harbor, Maine, to Yarmouth, NS (June to October) 1-888-249-7245 / www.catferry.com
Saint John, NB, to Digby, NS (year round)
1-888-249-7245 / www.nfl-bay.com

Northumberland Ferries Ltd.:
Wood Islands, PEI, to Caribou, NS (May to December)
1-888-249-7245 / www.nfl-bay.com

Marine Atlantic:
Port aux Basques, NF (year round) and Argentia, NF (mid-June to mid-September) to North Sydney, NS
1-800-341-7981 www.marine-atlantic.ca

Prince of Fundy Cruises:
Portland, Maine, to Yarmouth, NS (May to October) 1-800-341-7540 / www.scotiaprince.com

Pay Telephones
Local calls throughout Canada vary form 25 cents to 35 cents for three minutes at a pay phone. For operator assistance, dial 0, emergency 911, directory assistance is 411. For long distance directory assistance, call 1+ the area code, if you know it, + 555-1212. Directory assistance is free from a pay phone.

Entry Requirements
If you are a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. you don’t need a passport or visa. It is advisable to carry evidence of citizenship i.e. Certificate of birth, certificate of naturalization, certificate of citizenship or state birth certificate. (Providing only a drivers license or social security card is not considered valid proof of citizenship). A drivers license may be combined with any of the above to establish identity. It is imperative that you have photo identification. Permanent residents of the U.S. who are not citizens should carry a resident alien card. You must have a valid passport if you are visiting Canada form another country other than the United States. Visitors coming from certain countries will be required to present a visitor visa. It must be obtained at a visa office outside Canada. To know if you require a visa to enter Canada, contact the nearest Canadian Diplomatic Mission.

Tax Rebates
Most goods and services you buy in Canada are subject to goods and services tax and Harmonized sales tax (GST/HST). You are eligible for a tax refund if: you are not a resident of Canada, you purchased eligible goods and accommodations, you paid GST on these purchases, you have validated original receipts, each eligible receipts for eligible goods shows a minimum purchase amount (before taxes) of CAN$50; and your purchase amounts (before taxes) total at least CAN$200. Mail your original receipts along with your refund form to: Revenue Canada Customs, excise and Taxation Visitor rebate Program Ottawa, ON K1A 1J5.
You can get the complete information and application forms at border-crossing points, most duty-free stores, most tourist information centres, and online at the Revenue Canada web site. http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/ You may be able to get your GST back on the spot in cash at a duty-free store as you leave the country (but not if you leave at an airport).

As a visitor to Canada, you can claim a refund for some of the 7% "Goods & Services Tax" (GST) you pay on accommodation, as long as you stay less than one month in that accommodation. You can also claim a tax refund for eligible goods you take home.
As a visitor to the Province of Ontario, you can claim a refund for some of the 8% "Retail Sales Tax" (RST) you pay on goods removed for permanent use outside Ontario.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration